Dearest Clarity
I wish that you fully love who you are and everything that you are.
That you embrace being a woman, love being a woman and see the power and beauty in being a woman.
You feel honored and comfortable in your own beautiful skin.
You live your life to the fullest.
You see everything you dream of seeing.
You do everything you dream of doing.
Be everything you want to be.
You are the most precious and beautiful gift I have ever received in my life. You have taught me more than I could have ever imagined, and you have brought such joy, love and laughter into my life. In a way I feel like you gave birth to me, because I have never felt more alive and whole as a person. You are my everything. I truly love you with all that I am. You are my angel and my inspiration and this blog is dedicated to you.
xo

March 29, 2011

YOUR GUTS ARE YOUR BEST FRIEND!

Dearest Clarity,
So how do you go about talking to 5 year old's about why they can't run off, or why you need to always be able to see them, or about what a stranger is.  Who is a stranger? What do they look like? When can you or can't you respond to a stranger? Why would a stranger want to hurt us?  These are just some of the billion questions my daughter and her friends have been asking lately.  I was discussing the subject with some parents today and after hearing everyone's stories and point of views, I felt like I knew what I wanted to say to my daughter.  

Ever since I was a little girl I remember always having this voice or feeling inside of me when I felt scared or nervous or uncomfortable.  I call this my gut.  If only I followed my gut feeling more in my life I would have avoided soooooo many wrong turns and decisions.  

I don't want to scare my daughter into thinking everyone is bad or scary, and I don't want her to live in fear, yet I know it's important that she is safe, understands that there are some dangers and ultimately has the courage to follow her gut.  You can't tell them at this young innocent age that there are pedophiles out there, how do you explain that?  It's too much for their young beautiful minds.  They wouldn't get it.  So when we got home from school today we had a talk about following your gut and what that means. I said, "think of a time when one of your friends have said you guys should do something, that you know you're not allowed to do."  "What did you feel like when they did that?"  She said, she felt nervous and a little scared because she didn't want to get into trouble.  I said, "so your gut told you it wasn't a good idea, right?"  She said, "I get it mommy! Your guts are your best friend! " That's right I said, "so if someone or something is ever making your gut feel funny or scared or uncomfortable, then you know it isn't good for you, and you need to get away from them or the situation and get help if you can." 

I wanted to share this cause I think it's a great way to start teaching our children to protect themselves.  They don't have to be scared or paranoid all the time, they just need to be careful, and they need to learn how to listen to themselves and how to trust themselves.  I also think it's a great reminder for us parents to do the same when we are making our many, not always easy parenting decisions.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment